So, you may have heard our story through our books, YouTube videos & blogs that we waited 1 year and 8 months to kiss until our wedding day. I'm not wearing it as a badge of honor to pat myself on the back, but moreso to remind this generation that there's people willing to honor God regardless of what this silly society pressures them to do. We decided to honor God NOT to bring glory to ourselves but to bring glory to HIM. He graced us during that season.
I felt led to write this blog because I'm seeing worldly blogs out there encouraging people NOT to wait to have sex until they get married. And these people claim to be Christians. I'm sorry, if you are pursuing sin and encouraging people to sin prior to marriage then you aren't a Christian. You're a liar and the truth is not in you. This may sound harsh, but I didn't set the standard, the bible did. You don't wear the title of Christian because you uttered a few words. Even demons believe in Jesus. There should be some fruit of living for Jesus in your life.
John 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
God is clear to us when He tells us that our bodies is the very temple of the Holy Spirit. So, if you are reading blogs that oppose that standard that I encourage you to stop reading. This life aint' about you. This life is about Jesus Christ and through HIM, we can do all things.
So, if we know that sex outside of marriage is a sin because we read these scriptures:
1 Corinthians 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. (KJV)
1 Corinthians 6:9–10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. (KJV)
1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. (ESV)
2 Corinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed. (KJV)
Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness ... (KJV)
Ephesians 5:3–5 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. (KJV)
I'm reminded of:
2 Timothy 3:1-5 ...'This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.'
First, I wasn't a virgin when I met my husband and he wasn't a virgin either-- but together, we decided to do something different in our relationship. He was 22 and I was 26 and we had never been in a relationship, Gods way. I grew up not thinking that sex outside of marriage was wrong. I thought it was ok. I attended a church that didn't teach anything bout fornication and I didn't even know what the word meant. I called it "fornificantion." When I was sitting in a bible study, the preacher started to talk about sex outside of marriage and I asked my friend, "wait, that's WRONG?!" I seriously didn't know. Thank God that He took the blinders off my eyes.
Would I have waited to have sex until I met my husband if I would have known what I know NOW? Um. YES. I would have avoided silly soul ties or bridges, heartbreak and pain. I left pieces of myself with guys and those relationships tormented me years after we broke up. A piece of myself in California. A piece of myself in Michigan. A piece of myself in New York. I "almost" got married to a couple of those guys so to say that "we plan on being together anyway-- we should just have sex" doesn't make sense either because it was all based in hope with no concrete plan for the future. " We didn't have a ring. Even if we did, it wasn't final until I do.
I struggled while I was single because I felt like I needed to be in a relationship to find value. Then, I learned that I needed a relationship with CHRIST, not with a human to be whole. No man, no job, no woman, no degree or anything else can fill this huge void in my heart that God placed there.
In 2004 while in prayer, I asked the Lord for a man that wouldn't kiss me until my wedding day. Deep down, I knew that any guy that kissed me after that.. wouldn't be my husband. Did I still kiss them? Um yes. I didn't do my part either.. but I wanted a man to lead me. I wanted him to tell me NO, we are going to honor God. I wanted a man that wouldn't dare pull my clothes off my body until my last name changed to his legally. I wanted a man that HAD A STANDARD. I wanted a man that TRULY loved JESUS. You see, it's hard for ONE person to have a standard in the relationship but if you guys aren't walking together & on the same PAGE then one person is going to cause the other person to stumble & fall. Sis, if you don't want to have sex until you get married and your'e tired of running off men with your standard then make up in your mind that you would rather be single & whole in Jesus than to be dating randoms that are only USING your body & tossing you to the side. I had to MAKE up in my mind in 2008 that I was going to be single for the REST of my life vs. being married to somebody who fit my dysfunction. I made up in my mind that I was going to be SINGLE & content in the LORD until He brought His best. I didn't want God to bring someone into my life but there was no room for him. That seat next to me needed to be empty. Then, in 2009 the Lord brought my husband to me. I knew within 15 minutes that we were going to get married one day. 12 months later he proposed and 8 months after that we married and kissed for the first time on our wedding day. On our FIRST date, Cornelius told me that he wasn't going to kiss me until our wedding day. I NEVER told him my desire. That night I laid in my bed with tears in my eyes and asked the Lord.. "God, how did Cornelius know? Lord, you answered my prayers. Thank you for showing me that your way is the best way."
Can I be honest..
This is the issue sis, so many of us are keeping the seat next to us filled-- not with one man, but with about 10-12 men. Stacked up sitting next to you on this chair. That chair is filled with all of your soul bridges and ties and a few rotating men that you rotate out depending on who will text you back. You've seem to lost your standard & your way because you don't think that any man would truly love you the way that Christ loves the church. You're being hidden sweetheart. You are so beautiful, so purposed, so valued that God has you covered for a season. He's so jealous for you and He longs for all of you and for your eyes to finally be on Him again. He longs for the attention you give to those sorry men.
I recall prior to meeting my husband I was single and working at a record label. A male co-worker told me that I was a waste of a vagina but he used a more explicit word. Some of the artists would try to talk to me through him and he would share with them that I was "a church girl & a waste." Did I get mad at him? No. I was actually sad for him. I was sad that he was being used by the enemy to try to discourage me and he had no idea. I grieved for his soul. Although he didn't know my worth, I knew who I was in Christ and no man on this earth was going to take that away from me. He told me that I was going to be single forever and miserable. I simply smiled and told him that I was praying for him. Why argue? He was ready for a fight and I knew that God could show him much better than I could ever show him.
This point reminds me to ask you this question: WHO are you listening to? If you're single and trusting God's timing-- why are you letting co-workers, friends, family members & whoever else pressure you to conger up some man? STICK with your standards! Its SO worth it. Don't rush into a relationship to satisfy a nagging parent. Just stop it. YOU have to wake up to that person everyday, not your family members.
So, onto our wedding day and why it was so worth it.
I remember sitting in my bridal suite and I was so nervous! I was about to kiss my fiancé for the first time in my life. We'd been together for
almost 2 years and our communication was so amazing, I felt like I really KNEW him but I had never seen him naked. Never touched any area of his body in the wrong type of way, never had sex, never kissed- even on his hand. The first time we kissed after we were announced as "husband & wife." We kissed!!! Was it like fireworks? Not really. But it was beautiful. Kinda nerve-wrecking because all of your family is watching this moment! But I was still trying to take it ALL in. I still couldn't believe that we were "allowed" to kiss because I had trained myself so long to NOT kiss.
Now, I'm about to get really personal, when we went back to the hotel room, I was so nervous and not sure about everything. Do we shower together? Does he even like to shower together? Does he help me take my dress off? We were BOTH super nervous about the whole thing. Did I let it overwhelm me? No. God started this relationship & HE will perfect it if I LET HIM.
Then, we started to crack jokes to help lighten the mood of all of these crazy expectations that we put on ourselves. The same God that joined us together in marriage will join us together in consummating our marriage. He will grace us. He will teach us. HE made sex for marriage. So, I casted all of my care onto Him because He cared for us! I even gave him my guilt.
You may think, WHY did you feel guilty Heather? I had gone SO long in unhealthy relationships & having sex OUTSIDE of marriage that I felt GUILTY for those first couple months being able to have sex within marriage. I was used to beating myself up after disobeying God that I took that bad way of thinking into my marriage. I had to REMIND myself that God was with us and that HE honored our marriage covenant.
Now, 4 years into our marriage, I'm thankful that we waited to kiss until our wedding day.
- I never really respected men because I always felt like they said one thing & did another thing. Courting Cornelius showed me that he knew where he was going and what he was doing. I respected his purpose & direction. I didn't feel like I needed to lead him. So, your guy should be able to articulate WHERE God is taking him & the part YOU play.
- Waiting forced me to deal with my crazy emotions that manipulated the guys I would date. For example, I was having a rough day while we were courting and I called Cornelius and said I was flying to Atlanta (I lived in NYC at the time) to spend the weekend there. He said, "why?" And I shared with him that I was stressed out and I needed to get away. He told me no. "Wait, NO!" I screamed at him! You aren't normal! I just want to fly down there to forget about my week and you're not letting me. This is NORMAL. He responded gently, "Heather, I won't let you run from your problems. Face whatever is going on there with Gods help. He will help you & show you and I won't be a part of crippling your development." AND then he hung up. I sat there, stunned. WAIT, WHAT?! HOW dare HE?!? Does he not know that I can have anybody I want?! Then, God began to show me that I run when it gets hard and instead of turning to Him, I turn to getting away. So, that weekend I turned off my phone and I sat before the Lord. I let Him begin to pull out that crap that was in my heart.
- Waiting to kiss forced him as well to deal with communication. He HATED to talk on the phone and the phone was all we had as we were long distance, but saw each other at least 2-4x a month. It forced him to develop and be intentional about picking up the phone and developing in that area. Check out his blog here about other areas it developed for him.
- Waiting to kiss allowed for God to truly flow through us undistracted by physical sin. I had dated this worlds way and courted Gods way. I hated that overwhelmed feeling that I would have after I was doing things I knew I shouldn't be doing. It was refreshing to be able to walk down the street with this guy and hold his hand.. knowing that God was within that relationship. I had NEVER experienced that. It was beautiful. SIN wasn't ruining my CONFIDENCE in the Lord.
- Lastly, amongst so many other reasons, waiting to kiss disciplined us. We had to constantly tell our flesh NO! It was hard at times to set boundaries & to trust Gods timing concerning getting married. We didn't want to rush and make an emotional decision to marry just because we weren't kissing. We wanted to know WHO we were marrying. I am a very affectionate person and for ME, not being able to express my affection was HARD. We never cuddled. We barely hugged. I had to give that care to God daily and at times, I would be in TEARS. I was so used to my fleshly needs being met while courting and this time forced me to trust God.
There's so many other reasons, but in light of our 4 year anniversary tomorrow, I wanted to share a few things that were on my heart. Note that I'm not telling you to do the same thing as far as not kissing but I knew that kissing was foreplay that would LEAD to other things. I just didn't want to kiss-- I wanted to do ALOT more. So, kissing was the small flame that turned into a raging fire. You may think you can control yourself, but ask yourself.. how has that been working for you?
Be led by the Lord. The last thing you want to do is be in a relationship with someone that fits where you see yourself NOW and not where GOD is taking you. Cut off ANYBODY or anything that is hindering your walk with the Lord. It's never, ever, ever worth it. A tree is identified by it's FRUIT, so if she or he says they are a Christian, they will produce Christ-like fruit.
Just a few things:
1. I opened up a Pinky Promise Boutique!!! Think fashionable, fabulous purity rings, cross bracelets, journals, statement necklaces & so much more for women! Check it out via www.pinkypromiseboutiques.com. Use code JESUS for 10% off!
2. We have developed an APP! Think: daily post notifications + weekly devotionals, recipes and so much more! It's out NOW for iphones + Androids. Under Heather & Cornelius Lindsey: Today With the Lindsey's
3. If you live in Atlanta, I want to invite you to our church. Join us on Sundays at 11:00am at Landmark Art Cinemas. Our churches name is: "The Gathering Oasis" 931 Monroe Drive NE Atlanta, GA.
4. My book is selling like crazy! I'm so thankful for all of you that have supported! Check it out here: My New Book! Pink Lips & Empty Hearts: www.PinkLipsAndEmptyHearts.com AND my new book, Dusty Crowns, here!
5. Register for the 2015 Pinky Promise in Atlanta, GA! It sold out last year, so you don't want to miss out! www.pinkypromiseconference2015.eventbee.com!
6. As always, you can join a Pinky Promise group locally! There's about 24,000 ladies that have joined! Find a group near you by joining & checking out the intro page! Join here: www.PinkyPromiseMovement.com
7. Be sure to click on the calendar above for my speaking schedule! I'm headed to Miami, Atlanta, LA and a few other awesome spots!
8. We are hosting an event in LA on October 4th, I want to see you there! http://www.eventbee.com/v/pinkypromise/event?eid=169814152
God loves you like crazy,
Love you all dearly,