Monday, July 23, 2012
Ok, so I'm going to get some people that are REALLY mad at me for this one. Why? Because I've worked in the music industry. I worked at at huge record label and I saw FIRST hand the behind-the-scenes of how "music" works. So people that may know me.. may be upset that I'm talking about this area that so many tip toe around. Before I get into this blog-- the ONLY reason I started working at a record label in the Marketing Department was to spread Christ. Everybody knew it. From my boss to the CEO. I didn't try to hide it. I made SURE everyone knew that I wasn't just some girl who was tryin' to "get on" -- I wanted them to know Christ. I had a curse jar, my bible out at my desk daily, and I'd bump gospel music ALL day long. I didn't hang out with them.. party with them.. or whatever else. I KNEW I went there to spread Christ & that was it. I honestly didn't want to work there. I really didn't . The Lord sure knew & so did my friends. I had to learn to be content during that season. It was hard because I knew what God called me to do.. and I'm like, why am I here Lord?! Such a season of developing.
Check out some old pictures from my record label days.
1. My girlfriends visiting my office
2. The company retreat with co-workers & the president of the company
3. The presidents & CEO of the company at that time
Let's all be clear. I'm real free from people. How can I serve them if I'm in BONDAGE to them? As much as I LOVE people-- especially those in the music business-- I STILL have a charge. That charge is to GUARD your HEART. I am MUCH more concerned about a person's heartbeat towards God then then their feelings getting hurt. You may say that I'm "judging" you.. but if you're caught up in the music business.. the business has already judged you. Most likely, you drink with them, party with them, curse like them.. and you look like them. Although you hit church on Sunday.. your life looks NOTHING like Christ. And baby girl or boy..we have to do better. Life is more about you getting' your "paper" & in all honesty, as you sit at home after a long night.. you're even more empty then you were when you woke up. Only Christ can fill that void.
1 John 1:5 says: "God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth." 1 John 2:15 says: 5 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
So.. I'm not saying this to beat you down.. so don't email me with angry messages. If THIS blog makes you mad.. that means that you need to evaluate THIS area because clearly, it's challenging you. This blog bothers you because you want to continue to live however you want to live and you still want me to say it's ok. Know that I won't. I won't ever agree with it. If we're going to really live like CHRIST-- we have to not LOOK and act like this world. And please, you're not being a light around those people as you hit the club with them.. you see.. you look EXACTLY like them. WHY would they want to serve your Jesus that has ZERO standards. Of COURSE you can get saved for real-- and live the right way.. but you have to "die" to some of your ways & let God lead your life.
MUSIC is POWERFUL. TV is POWERFUL. Why? Because it's setting an atmosphere in your living room & your eardrums that is planting seeds in your heart. Listening to certain songs and watching stupid reality TV shows begins the more YOU will start accepting that treatment into your own relationships. Yeah, he cheats on you, lies to you.. but he takes care of you. I mean, he pays your bills with his drug money or whatever money and he loveeeees you.. I mean you have that "ride-or-die" thug kinda love. Girl, please. Where did you get that from? We aren't 13 anymore. We're grown ups. And as a GROWN-UP-- we need to start having GROWN-UP relationships. Remember, your NEXT generation of CHILDREN could look like this man or woman. So stop complaining about this rebellious "generation" of kids when you're dating the main drunk & chick that is dropping it like it's hot at the club.
Before I get into the origin of music, Tupac used to be my favorite rapper. I had Thug Life painted on my wall as a teen. I LOVED rap & R&B. I LOVED ALL secular music. Until 2003.I got saved and gave my life to God-- for real. And being that I was a baby in Christ-- I had no idea that I wasn't supposed to listen to that music. Nobody "told" me. I remember-- sitting in my car one day-- and pulling out a secular CD from my CD player.. and thinking, this is garbage. It makes feel horrible and reminds me of my past. I can't listen to this crap anymore, it's not feeding my spirit in a good way.
From THAT day forward.. I stopped listening to that music, literally, listened-- one day & then next day, it's like God knocked the taste out of my mouth. So, since then.. I've listened to Gospel. My favorite artists are Kari Jobe, Kim Walker, Jesus Culture, Jimmy Needham, Hillsong and Matt Redman to name a few. So if you're struggling in this area.. as we ALL have areas where it seems like God delivers us quickly.. vs. us going through a process- GIVE that area to God & leave it there. Guard your heart. Do your part.
Lets look the origin of music.
The two Scripture passages that describe Satan before he fell are Ezekiel 28:12-19 and Isaiah 14:12-15. Satan was the “anointed cherub” (Ezekiel 28:14). He was adorned with every precious jewel imaginable (Ezekiel 28:13). He was “the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty” (Ezekiel 28:12b). Likely he was the highest of all angels. He was persuasive enough to convince one-third of the angels to join him in his rebellion (Revelation 12:4. Satan fell because of PRIDE. He did not like being “second best.” He wanted to be God: “You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain’” (Isaiah 14:13). Satan knew how easily influenced we could be listening to music or being entertained-- being that it's a DOOR for him to creep into your heart, he'll glady take it if you don't know any better.
Was Satan the head musician? This cannot be answered definitively. After researching scripture-- it does not say enough about what his duties were in heaven. Considering the fact that the angels constantly worship God (Isaiah 6:3; Revelation 4:8), it is possible that Satan led that worship. One thing is sure: for Satan to rebel despite having such an high position and close relationship with God, the devil is surely due his eternal destiny (Revelation 20:10).
Many Christians struggle with this question. Many secular musicians are super talented. Secular music can be very entertaining. There are many secular songs that have catchy melodies, thoughtful insights, and positive messages. In determining if you want to listen to secular music, there are three things you must consider: 1) the purpose of music, 2) the style of music, and 3) the content of the lyrics.
1) The purpose of music. Is music designed solely for worship, or did God also intend music to be soothing and/or entertaining? The most famous musician in the Bible, King David, primarily used music for the purpose of worshipping God (see Psalm 4:1; 6:1, 54,55; 61:1; 67:1; 76:1). However, when King Saul was tormented by evil spirits, he would call on David to play the harp in order to soothe him (1 Samuel 16:14-23). The Israelites also used musical instruments to warn of danger (Nehemiah 4:20) and to surprise their enemies (Judges 7:16-22). In the New Testament, the apostle Paul instructs Christians to encourage one another with music: “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs” (Ephesians 5:19). So, while the primary purpose of music does seem to be worship, the Bible definitely allows for other uses of music. And honestly, even if that person can play the flute really well-- if they are gay-- I ain't listening. It just is what it is. Because their LIFESTYLE doesn't glorify God-- that person is subject to satan and his spirits. I don't want his little spirits entering his music & then plant messy seeds in my heart. Just is what it is. Let me elaborate on this: WHAT is inside of YOU flows OUT of you-- you are a slave to whoever you serve (romans 6:16) so someone who is practicing homosexuality is a SLAVE to satan & sin-- I don't want that ON me. I worship and serve the Lord. That homosexual has perverted their gift and uses it to glorify satan and their lifestyle. So don't get all mad at me for calling it out-- somebody gotta say it. I LIVE for Jesus. MY standards are clear, THIS won't change, because you're mad that I said it. So please, stop sending me your angry emails as if my stand according to the bible will change because of some humans view?! I LOVE you-- I really do, but I could care less about your "thoughts"-- I live according to the bible.
2) The style of music. Sadly, the issue of music styles can be very divisive among Christians. There are Christians who adamantly demand that no musical instruments be used. There are Christians who only desire to sing the “old faithful” hymns. There are Christians who want more upbeat and contemporary music. At the end of the day-- if it glorifies God, that's ALL that matters.
3) The content of the lyrics. Since neither the purpose of music nor the style of music determines whether a Christian should listen to secular music, the content of the lyrics must be considered. While not specifically speaking of music, Philippians 4:8 is an excellent guide for musical lyrics: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” If we should be thinking about such things, surely those are the things we should invite into our minds through music and lyrics. Can the lyrics in a secular song be true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy? So if you're struggling with getting over your ex-- you should probably turn off Adele. Yes, her voice is beautiful but every time it plays.. it reminds you of your little boyfriend or girlfriend. So do a music check & a TV show CHECK. Is what you're WATCHING glorifying God or is it painting this picture of what you want in a husband based on some basketball player or rapper? Is it HELPING your walk with God or is it HINDERING it?
Most secular music does not meet the standard of Philippians 4:8. Secular music often promotes immorality and violence while BELITTLING purity and integrity. If a song glorifies what opposes God, WE shouldn't be listening to it. However, there are many secular songs with no mention of God that still uphold godly values such as honesty, purity, and integrity. If a love song promotes the sanctity of marriage and/or the purity of true love—even if it does not mention God or the Bible—it can still be listened to and enjoyed. As I mentioned before, I still don't listen to those songs either, but that's just me. I like to LISTEN for the heart of the artist. Even with gospel singers.. your heart could be so far from God or homosexual & you're just a singing'-- I will turn you off. You don't know Christ, your heart told on you. WHEN you're spending a ton of time with God-- HE shows you that stuff so the crap that is on the inside of them, doesn't get on you. We must guard our hearts on who we hang around. So yes, if your hang around that music long enough-- you'll start looking like it. If someone is struggling with depression for YEARS or lust.. and they are just singing their little troubles in your ears.. guess what you'll be struggling with?!? STOP surrounding yourself around it. When we SPEND time with God-- HE shows us this stuff.
Remember that the above applies as well for Television. It's the SAME thing. Check out the content, the words, the acting.. because if it's not glorifying God-- it's glorifying your flesh and most likely-- you're seeing results in your life. So if you're struggling with sex outside of marriage, you shouldn't be watching shows that have people shacking up. It just is what it is.
Whatever a person allows to occupy their mind will sooner or later determine their speech and actions. This is the meaning behind Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2, 5: establishing RIGHT thought patterns. Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.” These Scriptures give a clear picture of the kind of music we should not listen to.
And as I mentioned in ALL of my blogs-- we can all get saved & change. I am not throwing away "
anybody"-- I'm just challenging us to DO better.
So, let's do better. Let's give our carnal nature to God & really live for Him for real. I really love & I'm praying for you.
Also, I've gotten some nasty responses.. as I was sure that I would. If you read my other 100 blogs-- I'm sweet, kind, gentle-- YES-- but at times-- God charges me to be BOLD & blunt about certain areas. So if it bothers you... good honey. WE all have areas we need to work on.. including me. I'm a straight WORK in progress & desperate for GOD daily. I NEED His help & I'm LOST without Him.
And check out this links!
Pinky Promise Store (bracelets, ring, shirts) www.heatherlove.bigcartel.com
Pinky Promise Conference (register! Join me in Atlanta!) www.pinkypromiseconference.com
Pinky Promise Movement (Join a local group or start one!) www.pinkypromisemovement.com
For Speaking Engagements: Kristi@PinkyPromiseMovement.com
Lastly, SO sorry that I haven't been posting! :) Been super busy! But.. I'm back at it!
God loves you like crazy,
Friday, July 6, 2012
Sometimes, we go to our jobs day in and day out.. and we're so frustrated. Asking God-- WHAT have you CALLED me to do? Why in the heck am I here? It's almost like you stop caring about your life because you think God stopped caring about you. So since you don't think that God cares.. you stop caring as well. You run off and date randoms, spend like crazy, drink.. smoke or do whatever fills your voids because WHY does it matter anyway? All this doing "right"-- yields no results for you in your head. I remember. I would just have sex with my little boyfriend.. because that whole marriage thing took too long. Everybody else was doing it. Nobody would know. Right? Gosh, I was so empty & blind to my own ignorance.
I know the feeling.
That feeling like you're walking aimlessly around this earth as it seems like EVERYBODY else around you is skipping around in their purpose. It's like they have it all figured out and God is showing you your purpose .. last.
When I was 20 years old, I had an internship in Washington D.C. at Black Entertainment TV. I thought I wanted to be a Producer, so how fitting to take a semester off at Michigan State from my little random (who I just broke up with). I had just given my entire life to Christ & I was really pursuing God with all of my heart. It was the most loneliest.. most fulfilling season of my LIFE. I really fell in love with Jesus that year. It's like the Lord placed this fire in my belly combined with .. the desire to never go back to my little boyfriend that played me & cheated on me with everything that moved. I knew I wanted more for myself and my life. I wanted my life to really honor God. I just wanted HIM. I remember a particular evening when I asked God what my PURPOSE was. It was date night. I had cooked Jesus some spaghetti and brownies. We just finished watching "Blue Streak" the movie.. and I just sat quietly before the Lord. Just talking with Him. After talking for about 30 minutes.. I told the Lord.. that I wanted to know why I was here. I don't want to do anything you don't want me to do.. I want to live the plans you pre-ordained for me.
So I sat there. Then the Lord said, "Heather, I've called you to preach my gospel all over this world. You and your husband will travel with world and share my name and millions of people will come into the knowledge of who I am through you and your husband. (Mind you, I'm super single). I will blow your mind my child. If only you trust me and let me take on the lead of your life-- I will lead, guide and instruct your path. I have great plans for you."
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I was so excited! I wasn't just a wandering soul!! (And neither are you!) I JUMPED up and ran and told my unsaved roomate that "God told me that He called me to preach!! I'm going to travel this world & share Christ!" -- she lifted her head & looked.. at me & said are you crazy?! We work in the entertainment business.. and laid her head back down.
I was so sad. Why wasn't she excited as me!? Must she be a buzz kill?! Then I went back to my room with my head down. The Lord said "Heather! You cannot share what I 've called you to do with everyone. I gave YOU the vision, not her. In addition to the vision I gave you.. you won't go into preaching publicly right away. Instead, you'll work at different places and your full-time ministry will be your job. At each job, you'll develop and grow in certain areas. Don't resist the development. When you're 29, you'll fully step into ministry and you'll understand the path I gave you"
Omg! I was so excited! God spoke it so clearly to me! I knew why I was here!!! Which gave me another standard. I can't marry no fool without standards. He needs to have a heart for God & his people.
Fast forward to 9 years later..
Each day the past 9 years, I spent the first of my mornings and most nights with God. Not to get anything.. I just needed His presence. I worked at jobs I hated, loved people that lied to me and bashed me.. and messed up a ton.
29 years old continued..
So, I've been on the road the past few weeks at certain speaking engagements.. what I didn't know that the the time I would spend on my face before God all those years would create an atmosphere where His presence is so thick in the room that women cry out to Him, pour out their issues & learn that HE is GOD & there's none like Him. A year from today, you may not remember everything I say at a conference-- but you will remember how thick and heavy the presence of God was in that place. THAT is what GOD called ME to do. I didn't EARN it. I didn't hope & pray for it. It was a SET UP!! GOD set it up. I just accepted the CALL.
Now, let's talk about you. Clearly, as per the above, I was headed in another direction. I was going to be a TV producer. Is there anything wrong with that? No. I just needed to DO WHAT GOD CALLED ME TO DO. I AM ONLY GRACED TO BE HEATHER LINDSEY. You are graced to be you & to accomplish the plans that GOD has already pre-set and arranged for you. Your FOCUS should be to discover the plans that have already been pre-set, arranged and prepared for YOU. I want to share some practical tips to help you. Before I share them.. I wanna be super clear. Don't seek your PURPOSE, seek CHRIST. It's so easy for us to get caught up in what God called us to do.. while ignoring the One who created us.
1. You gotta get saved. Read ALL of 1 John. I can tell your saved the the fruit on your little tree. You cannot tell me that you got saved at 4 if you live like HELL & your tree is empty. The proof is in the pudding. Fruit grows slowly, so don't be hard on yourself if you aren't growing in certain areas. God will grace you but you must be intentional in GROWING up in HIM. In addition to all that, you are saved when you BELIEVE that Jesus died for your sins & made you right before Him. So, this gets rid of your carnal nature. You won't wanna go back to little Tommy anymore. the old you DIED.
2.WE HAVE TO SPEND TIME WITH GOD. If you read EVERY blog.. you will see that I talk about how to spend time with God & the Journal Challenge. HOW can you expect to hear God's voice if you refuse to spend time with Him?
3. You gotta LISTEN to God. Once, I took a job for the money. That was it. I wanted away from my current job & I wanted a job that would pay me more. BUT I had NO peace. NONE. My motive was wrong. I ended up quitting within 3 months. Such a fail.
4. Check out your atmosphere. Who are you hanging out with as you beg God for your purpose? You may have a little boyfriend that you keep having sex with.. but you beg God for your purpose. Babygirl, sin separates us from CHRIST. (Isaiah 59:2) There is NO profit in playing house with someone. IT WILL KEEP YOU FROM YOUR PURPOSE.
5. Be content. You may not have the most amazing job right now.. but keep your eyes on Christ & He will open your doors and fund the entire thing. YOU may have some really amazing things in your heart.. that GOD placed there. THERE is a specific time to which GOD will bring those things to past.
You see, your life is much greater than your job. It's bigger than your car. It's bigger than you appearing successful to some people at your church. It's bigger than "keeping up with the Jones." It's bigger than you feeling good about you. It's bigger than what you think. God created you and placed you in your mothers womb with PURPOSE. EVEN if you don't feel like you have one. If you woke up this morning, God is going to use TODAY to prepare you for those things HE called you to do. WE will never arrive. So don't get caught up in this silly world & it's ideas. Don't hang out with messy girls that bring you down. Don't keep sleeping with that man that doesn't value you. It's time to change. It's time to be the woman GOD called YOU to be. Sis, whether single or married... lets BE the woman GOD called us to be by BELIEVING HIM & livin' this thing. I'm on board. Are you?
God loves you like CRAZY,
Pictures from a speaking engagement a couple weeks ago.